The Australasian College of Road Safety (ACRS) is delighted to announce the election of leading road safety management consultant, Mr Martin Small, as President of the ACRS, replacing Mr Lauchlan McIntosh AM FACRS who stepped down after an 11-year term.
Martin has been a respected road safety advocate for 23 years, holding senior positions in New Zealand and Australian governments and now consulting in both markets and internationally. Martin signed up the South Australian Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure as a Corporate Member of the College in 2007, introduced the first Low and Middle-Income Country scholarships as the 2008 Australasian Conference Chair, and was the lead client for the Centre for Automotive Safety Research as a number of award winning research projects were delivered.
Martin joined the College’s Executive Committee in 2016 and was elected Vice-President in 2018. During that time Martin has been actively involved in the preparation of key policy documents on behalf of the College, and led the College’s recent Strategic Review.
Martin said he is keen to “consolidate progress made by the ACRS, both in terms of the organization itself and our position as a leading advocate for road safety in Australasia”.
“I look forward to improving our professional development offering, encouraging greater member involvement in establishing the College’s road safety priorities, and advocating these priorities”.
“The College plays a vital road safety role by promoting open discussion and exchange of ideas and information in pursuit of the elimination of serious road trauma”.
“It is an honour to have been elected President, and I commit myself to leaving a stronger and more effective College at the end of my term”.
Martin was elected by the ACRS Executive Committee following the ACRS Annual General Meeting held earlier this month. His three-year term commences immediately.
Additional official bearers on the ACRS Executive Committee
- Vice-President & ACT & Region Chapter Chair: Mr Eric Chalmers – CEO, Kidsafe ACT
- Vice-President: Ms Dreena Lawrence-Gray – City of Casey
- Secretary & SA Chapter Chair: A/Professor Jeremy Woolley – Director, Centre for Automotive Safety Research
- Treasurer & QLD Chapter Chairp: Dr Mark King – Centre for Accident Research and Road Safety-Queensland (CARRS-Q)
- Committee member & ACRS NSW Chapter Chair: Mr David McTiernan, Principal Technology Leader, Transport Safety, Safe Systems, ARRB
- Committee member & ACRS New Zealand Chapter Chair: Dr Paul Graham – Principal Scientist, New Zealand Transport Agency
- Committee member & ACRS Western Australian Chapter Chair: Dr Paul Roberts – Principal Professional, Safe Systems and Human Factors, ARRB
- Committee member & ACRS Victorian Chapter Chair: Mr Jeff Potter – National Transport Commission
- Committee member: Dr Julie Hatfield – Transport and Road Safety Research Centre (TARS)
- Committee member: Professor Raphael Grzebieta – Emeritus Professor, Transport and Road Safety Research Centre, UNSW Sydney
- Committee member: Professor Narelle Haworth – Centre for Accident Research & Road Safety – Qld (CARRS-Q)
- Committee member: Dr Liz de Rome – Senior Research Fellow – Motorcycle Safety, Institute for Frontier Materials, Deakin University
- Committee member: Ms Melissa Weller – Safety & Skills Adviser, Australian Trucking Association
- Committee member: Dr Blair Turner – Principal Technology Leader, Transport Safety, Safe Systems, ARRB
- Immediate Past President: Mr Lauchlan McIntosh AM FACRS – Chair, Towards Zero Foundation