About the ACRS
The Australasian College of Road Safety is the region’s peak membership association for road safety with a vision of eliminating death and serious injury on the road. Our members include experts from all areas of road safety including policy makers, health and transport professionals, academics, community organisations, researchers, federal, state and local government agencies, private companies and members of the public. The purpose of the College is to support our members in their efforts to eliminate serious road trauma through knowledge sharing, professional development, networking and advocacy. Our objectives include the promotion of road safety as a critical organisational objective within government, business and the community; the promotion and advocacy of policies and practices that support harm elimination; the improvement of relative safety outcomes for vulnerable demographic and user groups within the community; the promotion of post- crash policies and practices; and the promotion of a collegiate climate amongst all those with responsibilities for and working in road safety.
The ACRS believes that it is never acceptable that people are killed or seriously injured in the road traffic system, which must be made safe for all road users. Those who regulate, design and manage the road traffic system (governments, road authorities, vehicle manufacturers, organisations which provide or procure transport services) are responsible for the level of safety in the entire system. In undertaking all of these activities, the aim should be to minimise the potential for road-user error and to protect users from fatal or serious injuries when errors do occur.
Vision of the ACRS
Our Vision is the elimination of fatal and serious injury on the road.
Purpose of the ACRS
Our Purpose is to support our members in their efforts to eliminate serious road trauma through knowledge sharing, professional development, networking, and advocacy.
Objectives of the ACRS
- To promote and advocate policies and practices that support a harm elimination agenda within society.
- To share road safety knowledge and promote further research and evaluation to deepen the road safety knowledge base.
- To promote and support professional development, institutional strengthening, and networking in pursuit of its overall objective.
- To promote a collegial and collaborative climate amongst all those with responsibilities for and working in road safety.
- To improve relative safety outcomes for vulnerable demographic and user groups within the community.
- To promote post-crash policies and practices which support its other objectives.
- To promote road safety as a critical organisational objective within government, business, and the community.
Who does the ACRS support
As the peak regional body for road safety professionals, advocates, and members of the public who are focused on saving lives and reducing serious injuries on our roads, the Australasian College of Road Safety strongly supports the aims of the United Nations Decade of Action for Road Safety 2021-2030, the Brasilia Declaration on Road Safety, Australia’s National Road Safety Strategy 2021-2030, and the New Zealand Road Safety Strategy 2020-2030. The ACRS as a whole, together with each stakeholder under our broad membership umbrella, is working hard to meet the goals of the UN Decade of action, the NRSS and the NZRSS, and is a proud member of the United Nations Road Safety Collaboration, the Global Alliance of NGOs for Road Safety, and the Safety Working Group for SUM4All.